Kitsap is a Leader in State’s and Nation’s Defense Industry
Poised on the Pacific Rim, Washington State is a national leader in military installations and defense industry operations.
- The Central Puget Sound is home to nearly 90,000 military personnel and defense employees
- The Defense Industry is among the top three economic clusters in the Seattle region (Aerospace, ITC, and Defense)
- Kitsap County has most dense concentration of defense-related industry in the state
- More than 50% of employment in Kitsap can be tied to defense dollars – active duty, civil servants, contractors and sub-contractors
- Nearly $22.2 B was awarded to Kitsap sub-contractors in FY 2012, 2103 and YTD 2014, for work done by prime contractors under DoD contracts
Kitsap is home to over one third of the region’s defense workforce of which 90%+ are civilian employees. More than 15,000 direct department of defense employees work side-by-side with nearly 5,000 defense contract workers accounting for an annual military and defense payroll in excess of $1.5B.
- Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and Intermediate Maintenance Facility(PSNS-IMF)
- Naval Submarine Base Bangor
- Naval Undersea Warfare Center – Keyport Division
- U.S. Navy Manchester Fuel Depot
- Naval Hospital Bremerton
Three major commands of the U.S. Navy – NAVSEA (Naval Sea Systems Command), NAVSUP (Naval Supply Systems Command) and NAVFAC NW (Naval Engineering Facilities Command Northwest) – operate in Kitsap. Click here for a full list of tenant commands located at Naval Base Kitsap
PSNS-IMF is the U.S. Navy’s largest shipyard on the West Coast and the second largest industrial complex in the Pacific Northwest – second only to Boeing’s Everett Plant. One out of every three jobs in Washington State’s ship building, repair and maintenance industry is located in Kitsap.
Kitsap’s defense workforce is highly skilled, and includes the highest concentration of engineering talent in Washington State. Many large multi-national defense firms maintain significant operations in Kitsap County, including; Electric Boat (General Dynamics); Lockheed Martin; Raytheon; Northrop Grumman /AMSEC, BAE, and SAIC.
Kitsap’s defense industry has spawned many new technologies as well as technology and advanced manufacturing companies in Kitsap and the Greater Seattle Region.
Contracting opportunities for DoD (as well as other government agencies can are at Fed Biz Opps and via the PTAC BidMatch program. For more information on the BidMatch program, contact KEDA at 360.377.9499 or email@example.com
KEDA delivers a host of client services to defense-based business in Kitsap including its highly effective PTAC Program (Procurement Technical Assistance Center) assisting local businesses with securing government contract work. Since starting PTAC outreach in 2007, Kitsap companies receiving assistance through this no cost program have received nearly $224.9B ($6.6B in sub contracts) in DoD contracts and subcontracts.