Licenses & Permits

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Kitsap Business Licensing & Permitting

Business licensing requirements in the county follow the same processes that you would encounter in any jurisdiction. The building permit process in Kitsap County is extremely business-friendly. Environmental regulations are consistent with federal EPA laws with no local hidden surprises. The area’s airshed is cleaner than many areas, permitting business activities here that are not possible elsewhere.

Many of the license and permit applications required in Kitsap County and the State of Washington can be completed online, streamlining the process and enabling you to complete these important steps prior to any relocation. Visit Washington State Governor’s Office for Regulatory Innovation and Assistance (ORIA) for links and useful information, including a comprehensive Small Business Guide and Road Map to Licensing & Registry a Business.

Business Licenses

A new corporation locating in the State of Washington must file for Articles of Incorporation with the Secretary of State‘s office, which will issue a UBI (Unified Business Identifier) number.

All business must apply for a Master Business License from the Washington State Department of Licensing, which registers the business with the state departments of Revenue, Licensing, Labor and Industries, Employment Security, Secretary of State, and the Washington State Department of Commerce.
Kitsap County does not require business licenses  but  the cities of Port OrchardPoulsbo, Bainbridge Island and Bremerton each have  business license requirements. NOTE: Businesses NOT physically located in the city, but still doing work there, are required to obtain a license for the city. Business should check to make sure their use is compliant with land use and zoning.

Home Business

“Home Business” permits allow certain business uses in residential zones if they are ancillary and secondary to the primary residential use. Kitsap County Code (KCC) Title 17 ‘Zoning’,  17.110.345, 17.381.040, 17.381.060.B.1 

Building Codes

The State of Washington adopted the 1997 edition of the Uniform Building Codes as amended by the Washington State Building Codes Council for all occupancies and jurisdictions according to the Institute for Business and Home Safety.

Air Quality Regulations

Businesses need to be registered with Puget Sound Clean Air Agency if they have operations that generate air emissions such as dust, smoke, solvent fumes, or odors.

Water Quality Regulations

The Environmental Permitting Services arm of the Governor’s Office of Regulatory Innovation and Assistance (ORIA)  is organized to help citizens, businesses, and project applicants understand and navigate Washington’s environmental permitting processes. Environmental permitting assistance is one of services provided by the Governor’s Office of Regulatory Innovation and Assistance .

Be Sociable, Share!